Local
Business
Sports
Leisure
BM
Kadazan Dusun
EDUCATION
ECO
Archives
Latest News
 
E_1
Voters returning from red zone told to undergo home quarantine |  Expected business distress post-moratorium manageable – CGC |  Upward trend in LI boost consumer, investor sentiment – Economists |  Mogigiyon noduhan manakau karan tu' koowit koligogonon |  Arthur Kurup poposili PRN di katatalib posunduran koinsonongan |  GRS minomihi di Hajiji sabaagi Vozoon Montili Sabah |  Majlis Kuliah Maghrib di Surau Ar-Rahman berlangsung cemerlang |  JBPM L-Datu ingatkan masyarakat jangan 'curi karan' |  Malaysia Airports tambah baik kemudahan saringan penumpang dari Sabah |  Kira-kira 32 pegawai dan anggota bomba di LD jalani ujian saringan COVID-19 |  Hajiji tokoh politik diyakini mampu bawa pembangunan Sabah |  Hajiji angkat sumpah Ketua Menteri baharu hari ini |  Peter drops bombshell |  Sarawak didn’t break any law to set up international schools – minister |  “Luk Chup” a popular dessert in Kota Bharu | 
 Local

Eight years’ prison, cane for robbing teen boy’s cell phone

12th August, 2020

KOTA KINABALU: A 35-year-old man was sentenced to eight years’ imprisonment and given a stroke of the cane for robbing a handphone from a teenage boy.

Sessions Court judge, Noor Hafizah Mohd Salim passed the sentence on Sofian Karim after he changed his innocent plea to guilty when the case was up for submission level.

He had snatched away a Xiaomi REDMI handphone worth RM300 from a 16-year-old boy under the bridge in Papar on November 2 last year at 3pm.

The offence framed under Section 392 of the Penal Code provides for a jail term of up to 14 years and whipping. Four prosecution witnesses testified during the prosecution stage.

The accused asked for leniency but Deputy Public Prosecutor, Megat Mahathir Megat Tharih Affendy urged for a deterrent punishment.

He highlighted that the victim in this case is only a kid with learning disabilities.

In delivering her judgement, the court told that she had considered the rampancy of the offence and the child victim involved in this case.

Apart from that, the court also took into consideration public interest as well as to serve a lesson to the accused and would-be offenders.

The accused was ordered to serve his jail term from the date of arrest on December 14, 2019.

In an unrelated case, an immigrant was sent to prison for three months for illegal entry.

The accused, Limpang Razak, was also ordered to be given a stroke of the cane as he admitted before Sessions Court judge, Azreena Aziz to entering the state without any valid documentation.

He was arrested on July 29 this year after failing to produce his travel documents during police inspection. The court ordered the accused to be referred to the Immigration Department upon completion of his sentence for his biometric data to be recorded before deportation. –NEDM

   
Email Print